Boxing: Fight between Sonny Bill Williams and Stu Laundy labelled 'unsafe' by Australian government

Author
NZ Herald ,
Section
Other Sport,
Publish Date
Sunday, 23 September 2018, 10:47AM
The All Blacks star will fight Bachelorette Australia‚Äč winner Stu Laundy in Sydney on December 1, in a charity event called 'Banger in the Hanger'. (Photo / Herald)
The All Blacks star will fight Bachelorette Australia‚Äč winner Stu Laundy in Sydney on December 1, in a charity event called 'Banger in the Hanger'. (Photo / Herald)

The charity boxing fight between All Black Sonny Bill Williams and Australian reality star Stu Laundy has been labelled "unsafe" by Australian government officials.

The bout - which will raise money for the homeless in Australia and New Zealand - was announced earlier in the week.

However, the charity event could be in jeapordy after Australia's Shadow Minister for Sport Lynda Voltz told The Daily Telegraph that the fight between a former professional boxer and a reality star is risky and unfair.

Voltz said the law states that only professionals are allowed to compete in professional fights.

"While Stuart Laundy might work out at the gym, there is nothing in his CV that suggests he should be stepping into the ring," Lynda told The Daily Telegraph.

"Sonny Bill Williams on the other hand is an elite athlete, a ferocious and talented rugby player and former professional heavyweight boxer of New Zealand."

According to The Daily Telegraph, Stu's agent Max Markson insists the fight would still be going ahead and that the legalities of the bout were being handled by boxing promoters.

Markson said he is confident the fight will go on as planned.

"The fight is 100 per cent still going ahead," he told Daily Mail Australia.

"It's a fantastic gala dinner and charity boxing fight raising funds for the homeless in Australia and New Zealand.

"With Sonny Bill Williams, it's a cause close to his heart. And he is already in serious training for this epic fight.

"The Shadow Minister is grossly mistaken in her interpretation of the procedures for the fight. No application has been submitted yet to the relevant authorities.

"We trust that when our application is considered it will be successful based on its merits."

Meanwhile, another Australian reality star Telv Williams has thrown his name in the ring to replace Williams if legal issues stop the fight from going ahead.

Daily Mail Australia reports that the Married At First Fight star is keen to fight the former Bachelorette winner.

The charity event called 'Banger in the Hanger' will be held in Sydney on December 1.

WatchMe

ON AIR: Daniel McHardy Afternoons

12PM - 4PM